David Maisel
I have chosen to look at the work of David Maisel because I think his work shows key elements in a different way to other photographers. I think his way of capturing photos are quite unique and the overall product of the image creates a quite powerful effect. Most of his work is landscapes but they are captured in such a unique way that they not look like a typical landscape.
I like this photo because I feel that within this landscape many key elements are demonstrated. I like how the bottom of the photo looks like a typical natural object but in contrast, the upper half is not very natural. The clouds are very dark and gloomy colours but to emphasise the contrast is a dry white and bright centre. I think the overall effect created is very strong and effective.
In this particular photograph, there is contrast between the bright colours of blues and oranges and the dark grey surroundings. Despite the photograph being of a natural scene and object, the way it has been presented looks nothing of the sort. I particular like the the colours which have been used to create an effective contrast throughout.
I love how these images are so unique but portray both colour and texture at the same time. The colours are rather bold and you would not imagine seeing these in a natural environment. The difference in light helps to emphasise the texture and especially to the left it emphasises movement.
This picture is quite simple and the colours used are also quite simple but the overall effect is quite powerful. The different shades of green show an explosion like effect through the smokey effect created. There is also great contrast between the green centre and the brown outer layer.
I feel that the work of David Maisel will influence my future work because the way how a simple concept is shown in quite a unique and unusual way. I think that I will take photos at different angles to see how the different angles effect presentation given by the image overall.
I feel that David Maisel's work has not really been shown in my work as much as I had first imagined. Originally looking at his work I thought that it would have influenced my work in trying to photograph things that have bold colours but you wouldn't expect them to have those colourings. I have found it easy to find bold and bright colours but have struggled to find objects with the bold colours which you would not associate with them. I feel the photo below of the shoes has captured the bold colourings but does not have the effect David Maisel's work does. On the other hand, I feel that this picture of the leaves shows a very bold colour for the natural object it is so I believe this is the best example of my work which shows influence from David Maisel.
I feel that the photo above does show some influence from the work of David Maisel. I feel that it relates to his work in a more realistic and possible way than his work does for the colours and textures he finds are not easily found. But I feel this picture shows several elements, like texture, colour, difference in light and reflection. I feel that these elements have been put together in a single photo to create an effective composition.
Overall I feel that I have struggled to photograph photos which show a strong influence of David Maisel's work. Having researched his work, I feel that it has taught me how elements such as colour and texture can be used together to make an effective overall photo. I have tried to incorporate these 2 elements and I feel that in some of the photos above I have used these elements to create a good photo. However, despite using several elements within my work I don't feel it creates the same bold effect as his work. I don't feel my work is directly representative of David Maisel but I feel that his work has taught me the importance of using several formal elements in a photo to make it effective. However, I do think that having studied the work of David, it has given me an insight of just how difficult and how much time and effort goes in to creating an unusual and unique photograph.







No comments:
Post a Comment