Thursday, 4 December 2014

Photographer- Josef Schulz

Josef Schulz

The photography of Josef Schulz is rather simple as the shots are of very simple objects but show number of the formal elements. I have chosen to look at his work for I like the objects he photographs and how they manage to show many of the formal elements within one simple shoot.

This photograph is of a plain, simple sign. The simplicity shows colour, shape and form. The most prominent elements are shape and colour which are very bold because of the bright colours and the many edges. I feel that because there is so message on the sign, it allows the individual the think what it is saying.

This photograph is different to the one above for it is not of a sign but of a building. The building is a quite simple shape and is also simple colours of white and red. The picture shows shape, form and colour. One of the most prominent elements is the form because there are clear shadows coming from the building.

This photograph is of a building but particularly shows colour. Its emphasise on colour is caused from the colour gradient of the dark blue moving into lighter shades of blue. The photograph shows shape, colour and it could be argued that it shows form to some extent because of the slight shadow being projected from the building onto the ground.

A sign that has been made of numerous squares. This photograph shows pattern, shape, colour and form. It is different to his other images of signs for it is a more complex shape than the others and has also been constructed from many shapes. The most obvious elements in this photograph are shape and pattern because of the bold outline.

Overall, I will try and show the influence of Josef Schulz's work in my photography by focusing on shape and colour but coming from simple shaped objects. I think it will be interesting to see what effect is created from quite simple objects.

Since conducting my photographer research on Josef Schulz, I feel that influences from his work have been demonstrated in my work for the way I have approached shape and colour. I have tried to show influence in some of my work by capturing some shoots which have shown signs.
This photograph is one I took during one of the walks but did not use it in my straight images. I feel that this image shows influences of Josef Schulz's work for it shows a simple shape. In addition, the photo is at a slight angle which can also be considered as a feature of his work.

This is also another photo which I have taken which is a sign at more of an angle and has more of a natural background.I feel that it does portray influences of Josef Schulz for it concentrates on the shape. But in Josef Schulz's work there isn't necessarily any light difference across the shoot, however in this image you can clearly see the difference in light across the frame. 

This picture is quite different to the ones above but I feel that it still has been influenced by Josef Schulz but its as if the work has been interoperated slightly different for it still shows simple shapes but instead of the object showing the shape, the shape is shown by shadow. In this photograph, it is also taken at an angle which helps to demonstrate the shape better than if it was at a slightly different angle.
From looking at my work I feel that influences have been shown in my work for the way some of my shoots have shown shape. I feel that shape is the main element which has been influenced in my work. However, from looking at Josef Schulz's work, I feel that because his work is quite simple and hasn't taken in to account other elements such as light, it has encouraged me to focus on this within my work to create a more effective photograph overall.

Overall the work of Josef Schulz has influenced my work in several ways. The way that he captures some simple shapes in his work has come through my work. By looking at signage, I have been able to show both similar and different shapes to those of Josef Schulz. I feel that his work is a tad too simple in the colours and the shape captured, because of this it has encouraged me to look at different aspects of a picture than there are involved in his. For example I have used the difference in light across an object to help portray different elements such as form. His work has also encouraged me to look at ways of making simple objects different, for example by looking at the shadows of objects to show shape rather than the actual object. Researching Josef Schulz has encouraged me to try and make simple compositions more complex to make the shoots more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment